Occasionally, I like to try to surprise Chris with dinner. Half the time I’m making something totally new, and the other half I’m re-creating some of his favorite dishes. This chicken dish has always been one of Chris’ favorite meals. I try to make it a surprise, but I never can. I have to pound out the chicken, which is so loud and obnoxious it practically shakes the house and is a dead giveaway. But I guess hearing the, “Oh my god, YEESSSSS!!!” billowing from upstairs a second or two after my first ‘thump’ is just as gratifying had it been a total surprise.
This is also one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. With each bite you get a delicate, thin piece of juicy chicken, that has the perfect little bit of breaded crunch to it. Spear a few tender leaves of lemony-dressed greens, add a shaving of Parmesan cheese, and it is a wonderfully light and savory meal. A little wine never hurt either… 😉 I hope you enjoy it just as much as we do!
2 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese for finishing, optional
1. Take each chicken breast and halve crosswise (like you’re going to butterfly it), so you end up with 2 halves; 4 total between the 2 breasts.
2. With meat mallet or rolling pin, pound out each breast halve to roughly 1/4″ thick between two pieces of parchment paper.
3. Lay out 3 large shallow dishes. In one dish, combine flour with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. In second dish, lightly whisk the eggs. In third dish, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper.
4. Dredge and coat both sides of each chicken piece in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then finally in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly to adhere.
5. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Lightly coat bottom on pan with olive oil and cook each chicken breast 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Adding more oil to pan if needed.
6. Serve chicken on plate and top with mixed greens dressed in a light vinaigrette. With a vegetable peeler, shave some fresh parmesan cheese over top of salad, optional.