Occasionally, I like to try to surprise Chris with dinner.Â Half the time I’m making something totally new, and the other half I’m re-creating some of his favorite dishes. Â This chicken dish has always been one of Chris’ favorite meals.Â I try to make it a surprise, but I never can. Â I have to pound out the chicken, which is so loud and obnoxious it practically shakes the house and is a dead giveaway. Â But I guess hearing the, “Oh my god, YEESSSSS!!!” billowing from upstairs a second or two after my first ‘thump’ is just as gratifying had it been a total surprise.
This is also one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. Â With each bite you get a delicate, thin piece of juicy chicken, that has the perfect little bit of breaded crunch to it. Â Spear a few tender leaves of lemony-dressed greens, add a shaving of Parmesan cheese, and it is a wonderfully light and savory meal. Â A little wine never hurt either… 😉 Â I hope you enjoy it just as much as we do!
2 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese for finishing, optional
1. Â Take each chicken breast and halve crosswise (like you’re going to butterfly it), so you end up with 2 halves; 4 total between the 2 breasts.
2. Â With meat mallet or rolling pin, pound out each breast halve to roughly 1/4″ thick between two pieces of parchment paper.
3. Â Lay out 3 large shallow dishes. Â In one dish, combine flour with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. Â In second dish, lightly whisk the eggs. Â In third dish, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper.
4. Â Dredge and coat both sides of each chicken piece in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then finally in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly to adhere.
5. Â Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Â Lightly coat bottom on pan with olive oil and cook each chicken breast 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Â Adding more oil to pan if needed.
6. Â Serve chicken on plate and top with mixed greens dressed in a light vinaigrette. Â With a vegetable peeler, shave some fresh parmesan cheese over top of salad, optional.