Roast chicken is a weekly staple in our home. Â Not only is it a great meal along with a mixed green salad, but it’s truly a meal that keeps on giving. Â Roasted chicken with greens one night; chicken risotto, tortilla soup, or pot pie the next!Â Not to mention incredible homemade chicken stock.
Although there are many ways to roast a chicken, the best method I have come across is Jamie Oliver’s method. Â Rather than roasting the chicken at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time, this recipe starts the chicken in a piping hot oven and is then “slow” roasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
This result is the juiciest, most beautifully browned, tender chicken I have ever eaten!Â And all of the herbs, lemon, and garlic make the house smell incredible.
Perfectly Roasted Chicken
Recipe Source: Jamie Oliver
(1) 3.5 lb. organic, free-range whole chicken
2 medium organic onions, peeled
2 organic carrots
2 organic celery stalks
1 head of garlic
1 organic lemon
few sprigs of rosemary or thyme
sea salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Â Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Â Roughly chop the onion, carrots, and celery stalks into large pieces and place in the bottom of a roasting pan.
3. Â Thoroughly wash the inside and outside of the chicken (making sure to remove any gizzards) and pat dry. Â Place chicken, breast side up, in roasting pan on top of vegetables.
4. Â Half the lemon and squeeze juice from both halves over chicken. Â Place lemon halves inside chicken cavity. Â Cut the head of garlic in half, crosswise, and place in cavity along with the rosemary or thyme sprigs. Â Drizzle olive oil over chicken to lightly coat. Â Sprinkle liberally with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Â Place chicken in preheated oven, then immediately turn the heat down to 400 degrees. Â Roast chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until fully cooked.
6. Â Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before carving.